Skip to Main Content
Sign In

FAQ: Transfer Students External

Image Picker for Section 0
  •   How do I receive credit for the communication courses I took at my previous university?

    Many Communication courses taken at another institution will initially transfer into UD as COMM166T. Courses with that number serve only as free electives, and will not meet any specific departmental requirements other than general Communication electives. It is possible, however, that many of these courses actually do meet specific departmental requirements.

    For review of Communication courses taken at another institution that transferred to UD as COMM166T, please be sure to include the following information:

    • name & student ID number
    • the name of the higher education institution where the course(s) was taken
    • the course number and title of the course being reviewed for possible transfer
    • a course description
    • a copy of the syllabus (if you do not have one, a copy can often be obtained from the faculty member or department where the course was taken.)

    Click the following link to email the information required for review: Communication Transfer Credits. You may cut and paste these documents into the body of the email, or include them as attachments.

    Students should also be aware that some courses that count as Communication in other colleges or universities will not transfer as Communication course equivalents at UD; for example, some Journalism courses would count as English credit at the University of Delaware, and some Advertising courses as Business Administration credit. Courses in other departments for which the student receives 166T credit (ex: PHIL166T, BUAD166T, ANTH166T) may also meet requirements for those areas of study, and the student should submit descriptions and a syllabus to those departments as well (NOT to the Department of Communication). This is critical, because some of these courses may count for University or College requirements.

    For additional information on transfer credits, visit the UD transfer credit website.

  •   I received transfer credit for one of the Communication Interest major courses (COMM245, COMM256, COMM301, or COMM330). How does that impact my chances of becoming a Communication major?

    ​In this circumstance, the student’s Communication Interest major standing will be determined by performance in the courses taken at UD only. So, for example, if the student receives transfer credit for COMM245, then her or his Communication Interest GPA will be based on performance in the other three Communication Interest courses.  Help with calculating your GPA using 2 or 3 course grades instead of 4 can be provided by the Department of Communication main office staff.

  •   I am entering the major as a transfer student - what courses should I take?

    The answer depends on two factors. First, you may have already taken one or more Communication Interest courses (COMM245, COMM256, COMM301, or COMM330), and there is usually no reason to repeat them.

    If you are transferring from another university or college, it would be in your best interest to contact the Department of Communication soon after you are admitted to U. D. to find out whether any already-taken courses will receive transfer credit as one of the four Communication Interest courses.

    For students transferring from another institution, or students transferring within UD from another major during their sophomore year, the answer also depends on when you begin the Communication Interest major:

    If you begin during the fall semester, assuming you have not taken any of the four Communication Interest courses, you should take COMM256 and COMM330 at that time. Assuming adequate (B or better) performance in these courses, you would then take COMM245 and COMM301 the following spring semester. At the beginning of the summer, the Communication Department will determine, based on your grades in these four courses, whether you will be admitted into the Communication major.

    If you begin during the spring semester, it will be a year and a half before the Department of Communication can determine your admittance into the major.  Transfer students beginning the Communication Interest major in spring should only take COMM245 that first semester; and if you will be receiving transfer credit (from another institution) for COMM245, you might not take any Communication courses that semester. Again assuming adequate (B or better) performance, and again assuming you have not received relevant transfer credit, you would then take COMM256 and COMM330 during the next fall semester and COMM301 during the next spring semester.

    The only exceptions to the latter schedule would be for those rare students who will be receiving transfer credit for both COMM256 and COMM330. In this case, the student should consult with a Communication Faculty advisor.

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
Transfer Students External
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
FAQ: Transfer Students External
<a target="_blank" href="/Lists/FAQ/AllItems.aspx" class="ms-promotedActionButton"> <span style="font-size:16px;margin-right:5px;position:relative;top:2px;" class="fa fa-pencil-square-o"></span><span class="ms-promotedActionButton-text">EDIT LIST</span> </a> WebPartEditorsOnly