Policy Statement for Graduate Tuition Scholarships for Research, Teaching, and Graduate Assistants and Fellows
The University of Delaware may provide tuition scholarships to
full-time graduate students who are awarded stipends for an entire
semester/academic year as a research, teaching, or graduate assistant or
fellow. These scholarships are generally available in graduate
programs that admit students with funding, regardless of funding
source; details of commitment and duration are provided in offer
letters. Graduate departments and programs select the recipients of
these awards, where available, based on the students’ qualifications.
The stipulations of the tuition scholarship policy are:
- The stipend must be at least equivalent to the university minimum graduate stipend: $16,850 for 2014-2015; $17,500 for 2015-2016. Stipends are paid for a nine month period (September 1st - May 31st) each year.
- Students on sustaining status qualify for a scholarship in the amount of the sustaining fee
- Tuition scholarships may be awarded for winter session under this policy
- Should a student leave the University after the free
drop/add period of the semester of an appointment, the stipend
will be immediately terminated. The tuition scholarship originally
accompanying the stipend will become the responsibility of the
student unless an appeal is presented in writing and approved by
the Office of Graduate and Professional Education. If the appeal
is approved, the tuition scholarship will continue to be applied to
the student's account and will not be available to be awarded to
another student in that semester.
- Students who receive 100% of the minimum stipend and a 100%
tuition scholarship are limited to an average of no more than 20
working hours per week within the University and may not hold
additional employment on or off campus. The Dean's permission is
required for any exception to this policy.
- Students who receive a
departmental tuition scholarship only (no stipend) may accept
additional work on or off campus.
- The recipients of these awards are eligible for coverage by the
University’s Student Health Insurance Blue Plan at a significantly