Skip to Main Content
Sign In

Graduate Program Frequently Asked Questions

Image Picker for Section 0

Do you have Fall and Spring Admission?

No. The Department of Communication only has fall admission.


Do you need a degree to be admitted to the program?

In order to be admitted into the MA program you must have a baccalaureate degree. In order be admitted to the PhD program you must have a baccalaureate degree and you may have (though you are not required to have) a Master's degree.


What is the deadline for admission?

Applications for those students wanting funding must be submitted by February 1. Applications for those students who do not want funding must be submitted by May 1.


What are the areas of study within the Department of Communication?

Students in the PhD program will choose one of the following three concentrations


  • Interpersonal Communication
  • Media Communication
  • Political Communication


Students in the MA program do not need to declare a concentration and may take classes in any of the three areas above as well as courses in public relations.


What am I required to submit with my application?

An application must include the online application form completed, transcripts from all previous institutions (baccalaureate and masters), GRE scores, three letters of recommendation, a personal statement, a writing sample, a CV or résumé, a one minute application video, and TOEFL (or IELTS) scores (for international students only).


Where do I find the online application?

The University of Delaware's online can be found here


What should be in the personal statement?

The personal statement should outline your goals and objectives in applying to our graduate program. You should talk about your research and/or curriculum interests and describe how admission to the program will facilitate your professional objectives. Your statement should indicate how your interests are consistent with the expertise of the department's faculty.


Do all three letters of recommendation have to come from previous professors?

You letters of recommendation should come from an academic, employer, and/or other professional source that can address your scholarship potential. While academic recommendations are preferred (former professors or academic advisers) other sources will be accepted.


What should I include in my application video?

Your video, not to exceed one minute, should be based on the topic, "Why are you interested in the University of Delaware's Department of Communication's graduate program?"


What should my GRE scores be?

Students applying to the Department of Communication should have a combined score of 300 for the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections of the GRE. Also expected is a minimum score of 4.5 for the analytical writing portion.


What should my GPA be as an undergraduate student?

An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher as well as a within major minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. If the applicant has earned a master's degree, a minimum GPA of 3.5 is required for that degree.

Should I bother to apply if I don't meet one of the application standards?

If you believe that the University of Delaware is the program that is the best fit for you and your goals then yes you should. Those that meet standard minimum requirements are not guaranteed admission nor are those who fail to meet all of those requirements necessarily precluded from admission if they offer appropriate strengths and skills. Admissions decisions are made based upon all of the information about an applicant, not just on one specific element of the application.


When are admissions decisions made?

Decisions for funded students are typically made in mid-February. After that time, until the May 1 final deadline, admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis as applications are received.


Do first year international students get financial aid?

Yes. They are subjected to the same admissions standards as all other applicants. In addition an international applicant must meet the department's TOEFL (at least 650 for the paper based exam, 280 for the computer based exam, or 114 for the internet based exam) or IELTS (at least a score of 8.5) requirement.


Does a funding package cover tuition and living expenses?

If you receive a teaching or research assistantship from the Department of Communication then you tuition will be paid in full. In addition you will receive a competitive stipend for living expenses. Students are only required to pay the student fees required of all students. Those mandatory feeds can be found here


I've submitted my electronic application. Where should I mail my transcripts / letters of recommendation / writing sample / etc.?

Do not mail any application elements during the application stage. Your application is done entirely online. Your recommender will receive an e-mail stating how to upload their letter into the application system. If you or a recommender has any technical issues while uploading the necessary information for your application or have any questions about submitting your application you should contact Graduate Admissions directly, via e-mail, at

How long does it take to complete the program?

It typically takes 2 years to complete the MA program for a full time student. For a PhD student it will take 4 years.

Is there a financial penalty for not finishing the degree on time?

If a student finishes all coursework but it takes them longer to finish a master's thesis or a doctoral dissertation there is no financial penalty. Once a student is in the thesis or dissertation writing phase they may remain an active student at the University of Delaware by enrolling as a sustaining student; enroll in UNIV899 – Master's Sustaining for MA students or UNIV999 – Ph.D. Sustaining for PhD students. Learn more about sustaining fees, which are a fraction of full tuition rates:

Do you offer a long distance learning / online graduate program?

Yes. We offer an online MA in Strategic Communication which teaches you to drive tactical communications initiatives with concentration in Public Relations and Digital and Social Media.

Do you have a part-time program?

We do offer a part-time program for the MA degree. If a student is interested in seeking our MA program part-time it is recommended that they contact the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. James Angelini (, for more information.

At this time we do not offer a part-time path for the PhD degree.

Do you have to be accepted into the program to take courses?

No. You can take up to nine credits through the Office of Professional and Continuing Studies that can then be transferred into the program after you apply and get accepted. More information:

How much does the degree cost per credit hour?

Please check tuition and per credit rates:

Do you have an accelerated Masters program allowing undergraduate students to take graduate classes that also count toward the MA degree?

No. We do not have an accelerated or 4+1 program in the Department of Communication at this time.

Should you have any further questions, please e-mail us.

You can reach Dr. James Angelini, the Department of Communication's Director of Graduate Studies, via e-mail at


  •   Is this a Prospective Graduate FAQ?

    Well I'll be! It certianly is a FAQ for Prospective Grad Students!!​

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
Graduate Program Frequently Asked Questions