Skip to Main Content
Sign In

FAQ: COMM Majors

Image Picker for Section 0
  •   I received a "D" or "F" in one of my Communication courses. What do I do?

    ​A COMM major must earn a C- or better to receive credit for a communication course. If a major has less than a C- in any of the Communication Interest courses, Public Speaking, or the required courses in their concentration (COMM341 in Interpersonal Communication, COMM345 and COMM370 in Media Communication,) then they must re-take the course before they graduate. If a major has less than a C- in any of the 6 credits of required COMM elective courses, they must either re-take a course or make up the credit in another Communication course.

  •   I have decided to concentrate in Interpersonal Communication. What courses should I take?

    In their junior year, IP concentrators should take COMM341. This course prepares IP students for 400-level courses.  IP COMM majors should concurrently complete their COMM elective courses in their junior year.

    In their senior year, IP majors are required to take three courses from the following list: COMM417, COMM421, COMM440, COMM442, COMM452, COMM453, COMM456, and COMM485.

  •   I have decided to concentrate in Media Communication. What courses should I take?

    ​In the fall semester of their junior year, Media COMM majors should take COMM370. This course prepares Media COMM students for 400-level courses. Students should concurrently complete their COMM elective courses in their junior year.

    In their 2nd semester as a junior, Media COMM majors should take COMM 345 and continue to complete their COMM elective courses.

    In their senior year, Media COMM majors are required to take two courses from the following list: COMM418, COMM423, COMM424, COMM425, COMM450, COMM452, COMM453, COMM454, and COMM458.

  •   I would like to study a very specific topic, and this topic is relevant to both Communication and to one or more additional majors. Is there any way I can accomplish this without taking a double major or pursuing a double degree?

    There are two ways to accomplish this:

    The first is through an interdepartmental major that consists of a set of courses, some in Communication and the others in one other major within the College of Arts and Sciences which the student agrees to take.  This agreement is in the form of a written contract, and once signed, the student can only make revisions to the agreed-upon set of courses with the approval of the Departments involved.  A student electing an interdepartmental major will, as part of the agreed-upon set, take at least some of the Communication Interest courses, and their grades in those courses will determine whether they rank in the Top 125 and qualify as a Communication major.  If the student does not qualify, then the interdepartmental major is not possible and the student is advised to major in the other department involved in the agreement.  Students interested in pursuing an interdepartmental major should schedule an appointment with the Department Chairperson.

    The second way to accomplish this goal is relevant if a student's interest would suggest courses in three or more majors.  If this is the case, the student can then begin the process of creating a proposal that would lead to a B.A. in Liberal Studies (B.A.L.S).   The process requires the student and a set of three advisors from relevant majors to create a program that includes courses from those three majors and any others deemed relevant.  As with the interdepartmental major, this program, if approved, serves as a contractual agreement which cannot be revised without permission from the College of Arts and Sciences.  The process of becoming a B.A.L.S. student is rigorous and time-consuming, and proposals are often rejected, so this option is only for the unusual case.  Students interested in the B.A.L.S. program should schedule an appointment with the College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate advisement office.

  •   When I am registering for next semester courses, I see multiple sections of a course being offered entitled "Special Topics," and I wonder how many of these I can take?​

    The Communication major has quite a few courses that fit this category (COMM200, COMM305, COMM318, COMM319, COMM343, COMM418, COMM425, COMM440, COMM442).  Each of these courses can be taken as many as three times as long as the offered topic varies, with the exception of COMM425 (twice) and COMM305 (once).

  •   How many credits in Communication do I need to complete the major?

    ​A minimum of 33 with a grade of C- or better in every course. All COMM majors must complete the Communication Interest courses, Public Speaking (COMM350), and their concentration; this totals 27 credits. To complete the major, all COMM students must take a minimum of six additional credits. These can come from any other course in the department (including additional courses in the student’s concentration, courses in the other concentration, elective COMM courses, internships, independent studies, and undergraduate research) with two exceptions.  First, COMM212 is specifically designed for non-Communication majors and therefore NOT open to Communication majors; COMM350 performs the same function for majors.  Second, there are occasions in which a section of COMM200 is also specifically designed for non-majors, although this is rare.  It is important that COMM majors do not enroll in COMM212 or that occasional COMM200, because they will not receive COMM credit for it.

  •   The rules say that the Communication major allows a maximum of 45 credits, but I want to take more. Why can’t I?

    ​The Communication major confers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree on its graduating students, and there is an iron-clad rule that the all University majors have an “official” maximum of 45 credits. The intent behind this is that the Bachelor of Arts degree by its very nature is conferred to students who have a well-rounded education.  Students may choose to take additional credits in any major leading to a B.A, but these additional credits do not count for graduation. For example, if a Communication student were to take 16 three-credit Communication courses, then the student has a total of 48 Communication credits. Three of those credits cannot count for graduation. Therefore, given that the B.A. in the College of Arts and Sciences is 124 credits, this student must take 127 credits to graduate.

  •   I am interested in an internship. How can I obtain one, and how do I receive academic credit for it?

    Please click here for information on our internship program.

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
COMM Majors
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
FAQ: COMM Majors
<a target="_blank" href="/Lists/FAQ/AllItems.aspx" class="ms-promotedActionButton"> <span style="font-size:16px;margin-right:5px;position:relative;top:2px;" class="fa fa-pencil-square-o"></span><span class="ms-promotedActionButton-text">EDIT LIST</span> </a> WebPartEditorsOnly